Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Big Update!

Wow, so getting settled into our new apartment and then getting adjusted to a new school year has really taken its toll on us and so we haven't been posting as much.  I feel like we've done so much for the wedding, but when you look at it in the big picture, it feels like nothing at all! Here's an update on everything we have done thus far:

Back in June, Hayley and I booked our officiant! For months after us getting engaged, Hayley was constantly telling me how badly she wanted my Uncle Bruce to become ordained and marry us.  He's very outgoing and goofy and she thought that he could be serious about the marriage, while also making everything smooth and comfortable for everyone there. After some convincing, I agreed to this.  Not that I didn't like the idea, but it did take a little bit for me to come around to it. Let's take note that Hayley also promised me we could be the Burgels if I agreed to this (which she is now going back on, so y'all help me out). We decided to do something a little cutesy to ask my Uncle Bruce to marry us so we went to our local craft store (our second favorite place to shop behind Ross) and got some supplies to put together a small box for him.  We painted the outside of the box like a tux and then wrote "Will you be a key part of our wedding and be our officiant?" on the inside with a big key inside the box.  It was super cute, if I do say so myself. And, after having to explain what it is to him, he agreed! Officiant: Check!


We have also asked another one of my wonderful uncles to play for us during the ceremony.  He played at my parent's wedding and my sister's wedding, so it's pretty special to us that he plays at ours.  And we have picked out the perfect song for him to play as we walk down the aisle!

We have also picked out our bridesmaid dresses.  Since there are so many bridesmaids, Hayley and I went to the store first to get some ideas of what we liked so that way it was a little less crazy when we brought all of our girls to pick their dress. We took to Pinterest for our inspiration and both really loved the mis-matched dress look. We also liked that, since all of our bridesmaids are different shapes and sizes, we could put them in a dress that would best flatter them.  We ended up picking out three different style of dresses and two different colors.  On the day that we had all of our girls come with us, it ended up working out perfectly.  Everyone picked the dress they wanted and it ended up being a pretty even amount for each dress.  They all picked the same color, so we ended up just doing one color dress instead of two.  I would love to post a thousand and one pictures of them in their dresses, but 1) I don't have any and 2) we want there to be at least a little surprises on the day! I will say that I am absolutely obsessed with them though! It did cause us to change our color scheme a little bit, but I think I'm liking where it's going even better than what we planned originally.

Speaking of dresses! Hayley and I have both picked out 'the dress.'  I have heard that Hayley looks absolutely GORGEOUS in hers, so I cannot wait to see. 

Next. I'm not even a big sweets person, but my favorite part of this process so far: Our cake tasting!  We found the perfect person to bake our cake (Thanks, Lizzie!) Her name is Chelsi and she is the sweetest person I think I've ever met.  While some of our bridesmaids were in town this weekend, we got together and she brought all the cakes and fillings and icings so that we could pick our cake.  She brought eight different kinds of cake and six different kinds of fillings/icing. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to pick our cake. Of course, we had to try every possible combination... because, I mean, who wouldn't? Calories don't count when it's a tasting for your wedding, right?  But, with us having two completely different kinds of tastes when it comes to sweet thing (Hayley loves anything chocolate, whereas I love anything with fruit) we were able to compromise pretty easily!

Last, but not least: OUR NEW VENUE!  We were very heartbroken when Holly Ridge Manor didn't work out, but we are so excited to be getting married at The Obici House in Suffolk! This was actually the first venue we looked at from the start and we both immediately fell in love with it, but being the first place we saw, we decided to keep looking. It is just so beautiful.  I really wanted a place that had water and my favorite part of the Obici is the balcony in the back of the house that overlooks the Nansemond River.  I am so looking forward to having our first look in this amazing spot! And for those of you that know Hayley you know she was born in the wrong era, so the Obici House is perfect because it has such an old, antique-y feel to it that fits her personality perfectly.


Only a little over 6 months until the big day and we are more and more excited every day! I absolutely cannot wait to marry my best friend!  Keep us in your thoughts as we try to buckle down and finish the rest of all this planning soon!

 
 
x o x o x o ,
Your Favorite Two Brides


No comments:

Post a Comment