Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Will You...? x2

So, now that Hayley and I have been engaged for (almost) four months, I'm really regretting not starting this blog sooner.  Luckily, not toooo much has happened that we can't catch up on.  Our first few posts will be "catch-up" posts though and then we will do our very best to update at least once a week!  So for our first post is where this exciting adventure began, OUR ENGAGEMENT! Obviously, we are not your 'normal' couple and so there were lots of questions once we announced the news. Most we answered, but hopefully this will help.  Plus it will give us a chance to relive it, which is really the best part.

I had actually been preparing and planning for months to buy Hayley a ring.  Unfortunately, being so new into the adult world, my credit did not allow me to go out and buy Hayley the ring she deserved.  I ended up buying a setting and then getting a diamond put on layaway that took me 3-4 months to pay off.  Once I had it all paid off and it was officially mine, (well, Hayley's) I had big plans for it.  However, Hayley did beat me to the punch. I was definitely surprised when Hayley proposed to me.   I had to stay at school late that night for a PTA Carnival Night all the teachers had to be at, so I didn't get home until after 8.  I had talked to Hayley on my way home and she just said she had spent the afternoon watching Netflix waiting for me to get home.  I didn't suspect a thing.  When I got home and walked up onto the porch, I saw a piece of paper on the door.  Let me also tell you, that it was April Fool's Day. So my first thought was, "This girl is going to play a trick on me that she's lost or something crazy and I AM NOT coming to find her." We basically live like two streets over from the ghetto and it was dark so there was no way I was going to have a trick played on me standing on my front porch.  But it wasn't a trick.  There was a note on the door that said "Let's take a walk down memory lane." I don't even know what went through my head at that exact moment; I wasn't sure what to think. 
I opened the front door and saw the most amazing thing and I think I stood there frozen for a minute, calling Hayley's name waiting for her to come around the corner. Once I realized that she wasn't anywhere to be found, I began to follow the path she had formed with candles and flower petals.  The path went through our whole house, and there were pictures of us from all our big moments (when we met, became friends, started dating, getting our dogs, etc.) All of this lead to our back door, where there was a sappy little love note Hayley had written me that lead me to shed one or two tears (I'm not a super emotional person, so that was plenty for the occasion).  When I opened the back door, there was Hayley with even more candle and flower petals, a sign asking me to marry her, a ring, and wine (of course).  I was just so shocked and excited and overwhelmed with joy and just every feeling in the book. This sounds so sappy, but honestly it was like a dream or something out of a movie. It was so perfect. Seriously, I don't know how she even came up with that but it was better than I ever imagined that moment would ever be.  She definitely won between the two of us; I don't think mine was as great.  But I'll let Hayley tell you about that below (:




Sam and I both wanted proposals. And honestly, neither of us should have had to give it up. We just had to be a little creative. I chose to propose first basically because I was tired of waiting. I would say I am a fairly patient person, but when I know what I want I need it to happen immediately. I had looked and saved for months and I had finally found the perfect ring. I wanted Sam's proposal to be special for Sam, but Sam didn't have her dream proposal planned out like me. I thought that it was normal to know exactly how you wanted it to happen, but I guess I was wrong. I had this idea in my head of exactly how a proposal should be. If you've has seen Sweet Home Alabama then you pretty much have seen my dream engagement in action. Walk into a room of yellow roses and candles, find a note, turn around and see your fiance with the ring. Sam knew exactly what I wanted, but when I was trying to plan her engagement she couldn't tell me what she wanted.  I couldn't get this vision of a surprise with candles and flowers out of my head though. So I had to decide to either be surprised with an idea Sam came up with on her on or basically plan my own engagement and let Sam execute it. Note that, along with being pretty patient, if you know me you know I like surprises. So knowing what was going to happen at my proposal wasn't exactly my style. I was in a unique position though... If I couldn't get my own Sweet Home Alabama proposal then I would do it for Sam and make it just as perfect. It was cool being on the other side of it. I was so excited waiting for her and it was just as perfect as if she had done it for me. I wouldn't trade that feeling for anything.


Given that I proposed first I knew a proposal from Sam was coming. Just now, that I used my idea to propose to her, I was going to be completely surprised and it would be a little more special because Sam would think of it on her own. So the Friday beginning our spring break I was waiting for Sam to get home. When she walked in she wasn't alone, shout out to Lauren Griswold for being there. She handed me a basket full of Easter eggs. I started opening the Easter eggs and pulling out puzzle pieces. I was really looking for the ring at that point thinking it was in one of the eggs, but I was directed to put the puzzle pieces together. So I started to try to put the puzzle together. Yes I said try. I would like to tell you that the children's puzzle was easy, but for some reason I struggled. SO with the help of Sam and Lauren we completed the puzzle. (I know, how many girls does it take to put a children's puzzle together? Well in this case 3.) However we were successful... finally and on the puzzle was a letter from Sam asking me to marry her.
Then I looked over and Sam handed me a golden egg and in this egg was the most beautiful ring I had ever seen. Now I don't want to be too dramatic, but it did kind of take my breath away. It was honestly perfect and I can't imagine wearing anything else. Now I am not sure who Sam thinks she is claiming the best proposal, but I would argue that mine was the better one. It was cute, thoughtful, and intimate just like I wanted. And best of all it was a surprise! I don't really think it mattered how she did it, it was the fact that I felt like it was so right that made it the best proposal. From that point on I could think about nothing but the future!



We can't wait to share what has happened since our engagement and to keep you updated on what is to come throughout our wedding planning!
 
x o x o x o ,
Your  Favorite Two Brides

No comments:

Post a Comment